These school holidays are just flying past for us, how about you?
Each day we catch at home (in-between me working and our social diary) starts with the usual daily chores. Zadada usually covers the kidlets breakfast then he’s out the door and off to work, I get onto the bed making, washing, picking up, vacuuming…….I’m sure you know the drill well. Then there’s some snack making, arguments to referee, playing games, cleaning up unexpected messes (I dropped a bottle of caramalised balsamic vinegar on my white tiles at lunch today!) life is never dull is it!
What I love most about home days is that it usually involves some baking with the kidlets. Earlier this week I shared a little baking adventure Ella and I had making Jam Drops.
Today it’s Blake’s turn to shine on the blog.
Using the same recipe book Ella spotted the Jam drops in (The Kooky 3D kids Baking book), Blake found himself a recipe he was very keen to make, ‘Sausage Rolls’. What I found most appealing was the fact that we only needed 3 ingredients to create them……puff pastry, small sausages (otherwise known as chipolatas) and 1 egg! How good is that! Perfect for kids cooking in the kitchen.
I do enjoy a delicious lean homemade sausage roll but there’s usually a decent bit of time involved, chopping, dicing and mixing. The only chopping required with these little treasures is separating the sausages and cutting the pastry strips and quarters.
I’m not a huge fan of beef sausages, however Zadada is, he snuck a couple of our freshly made sausage rolls from the cooling rack and all 3 kidlets enjoyed them so that’s a mission accomplished in my eyes. I’m thinking a gourmet chicken sausage would be more up my alley. Your options are endless with all the sausage varieties out there, if the sausages you choose are a standard size just cut your pastry to suit.
These little treasures would make for perfect finger food at a party or function and if you’re Blake they’ll make a perfect lunch box treat, he thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers cold from the fridge!
Here’s how project sausage roll unfolded…..
Have you got a shortcut recipe? I’d love to hear about it!
Super Quick & Easy Sausage Rolls
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 12 small sausages (chipolatas)
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced (190C Standard)
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut a very thin strip of pastry from each edge of each sheet (that way pastry remains square shaped). Cut the remaining pastry sheets into quarters.
- Place a sausage along one edge of a pastry square, leaving an even amount of space on either side. Roll up to enclose the sausage.
- Pinch the pastry in firmly at the end of each sausage, flaring out the ends of the pastry (it should resemble a little bon bon).
- Roll the reserved pastry strip in a spiral around the sausage. Place seam-side down, on the tray and brush with egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Serve with tomato, barbecue or sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
Stay tuned next week I’ve got a post brewing to keep you cool on Australia Day and it’s one the whole family will enjoy.