Easy weeknight meals are always something I’m on the lookout for.
This potato & bacon egg pie is one I’ve been using on the weeknight meal rotations for a few years now and I’ve been meaning to share it with you all for ages. It comes from my very special friend Jennifer, she first made it for me as a lunch dish during one of our catch-ups in the lead up to when I was just about ready to give birth to Miss Alani.
I can remember being big and fat in Jennifer’s kitchen while I watched her effortlessly whip up this little treasure before my eyes, all while, she too was a little less pregnant than me and we had 3 other little munchkins running around us. My point is, it’s not complicated, it’s easy, you can bake it in advance, it looks great and tastes deeeeelicious!
The biggest tick coming from me is that it’s a dish I can make and all 5 family members will eat it!!! A rare miracle to say the least!
For the record 4 of us are happy to eat the pie with side salad but one family member just has it alone (bet you can’t you guess who that would be?), I figure it has enough goodness in it to be a meal for her!
Another weeknight treasure which involves a little more time in the kitchen is this ‘Oven Baked Risotto with Chicken and Chorizo’ or if you’re looking for something you can walk away from try this ‘Slow Cooked Creamy Thai Chicken Curry’.
What are some of your favourite ‘Rare Miracle Weeknight treasures’?
Feel free to share any recipe links in the comments below.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 8 rashers short cut bacon diced and fried off
- 1 potato cubed (I used a small washed potato & ½ sweet potato)
- 6 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Grease a pie dish (mine measures 25cm diameter and 3cm deep), if you use a different size just adjust baking time accordingly.
- Press sheet of pastry into dish.
- Microwave potatoes in microwave 4mins or until just tender, drain on paper towel to soak up excess moisture and cool a little. Sprinkle potato over pastry, followed by fried off bacon.
- Combine eggs, chives, cream and season with salt and pepper, lightly whisk.
- Pour egg mixture over bacon and potatoes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 45 mins or until firm and lightly golden.
Until the next time…….
Easy weeknight meals are always something I'm on the lookout for. This potato & bacon egg pie is one I've been using...